“It is in the womb of the Church where he is transformed from a child of Adam into a child of God.” -Saint Vincent Ferrer
Dear Parents & Godparents,
St. Raymond’s shares in your joy at the gift of new life from the Lord! We are delighted that you are planning to present your child for Christian baptism. This page outlines the procedure we follow in order to prepare for and celebrate the baptism of your child. This information is designed to assist you in the process of welcoming your child into the Catholic Faith.
At St. Raymond’s, we believe that true conversion and growth happens best in the context of relationship, so we use a mentor model for Baptism preparation. By personally connecting you with a welcoming, faithful couple or individual from St. Raymond’s, our hope is that you not only find information, but also friendship and a sense of belonging in our church community.
Keep reading to find more about how the process works. I think you’ll really love meeting your mentor! If you have any questions or concerns about the process of preparation or the celebration of the Sacrament, please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time at (715) 877-3400 ext. 122
In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Fr. Derek Sakowski
Process for Baptism Preparation
- Complete the Inquiry Form. First, let us know you’re interested in having a child baptized in the Catholic Church with a few pieces of basic information.
- Interview. Once you submit the inquiry form, a member of our team will contact you to talk through the next steps. This is a great chance to ask questions and get to know our parish community.
- Meet your Mentor! At St. Mary’s, we use a customized mentoring model in helping you prepare for baptism. You’ll be assigned to a family who will get to know you personally and walk with you on your unique journey of faith and discovery.
- Select Godparents. If you’d like help or guidance in choosing the right Godparents, chat with your baptism mentor at one of your first meetings and they’ll get you set-off in the right direction.
- Schedule a Tour. Sign-up to take a tour of our church with one of our priests! They will take you on a tour of the church, the baptism font, and review the promises you’ll make during the sacrament of baptism.
- Complete 3 Prep Sessions with your Baptism Mentor. Using the Starting Point by Dynamic Catholic, you will learn about the sacrament of Baptism and the important mission of Christian parenting. You’ll meet with your baptism couple before and after your child is baptized. Once these sessions are scheduled, you may select your baptism date. Godparents are strongly encouraged to attend these sessions with you.
- Schedule the Baptism! Barring any conflicts, you are welcome to choose any regularly scheduled Mass for your ceremony. Private baptisms are permitted in rare cases.
**If you have already gone through baptism preparations with your first child, our Faith Formation Team will make a customized preparation plan for your family after your initial interview.
- Who should I pick to be a God Parent?
A godparent assists you, the parents, in passing the Catholic faith onto the child. As a result, only a godparent who supports in both words and actions the child’s growth in the faith can fulfill this duty well. It is important to note that only one godparent is required, though traditionally two (a male and female) are selected. Give this choice some thought. A godparent can have a remarkable influence on your child!
A godparent is required to be:
* At least sixteen years of age (the priest or deacon can make an exception for someone younger as long as the other requirements are fulfilled)
* baptized, confirmed, and has received First Communion
* living a life consistent with the Catholic faith
* if married, married in the Catholic church
* an active member of the Catholic Church
* someone other than one of the biological parents
Since only one godparent is required, another person can serve as a “Christian witness” as long as he or she is:
* a baptized Christian in good standing
* the opposite sex of the godparent
* not a baptized Catholic who has left the church to practice a different faith
* leading a Christian lifestyle
Baptism for Adults or Older Children
Adults or older children seeking baptism should contact our Coordinator of Faith Formation, Marianne Callaghan , at 715-877-3400 x119 or MCallaghan@SMSRCatholic.com.
Please contact our current Coordinator of Faith Formation
(715) 877-3400 x119